Edinburgh CND’s April Meeting took place with the help of Zoom. Here is a summary of the main things we discussed:
1. Leafletting on 2nd Saturday: Now cancelled but we will follow Women in Black and go ‘online’ campaigning by window posters as encouraged by Scottish CND (www.banthebomb.org) eg ‘Support NHS, Scrap Nukes’
2. Mayday Festival:
Penny Stone will still be singing for us.
We will ask SCND Exec speaker Paul Shaw for panel session after film.
3. May Edin CND business meeting on Tuesday 5th cancelled, communication meantime by email, and replaced by Zoom session at 6.30 on 6th.
4. Festivals: All summer festivals are cancelled, fundraising carrying on though, and Comedy Benefit Night, joint with Scottish CND on Tuesday 10th November going ahead (some tickets left).
5. Faslane Peace Camp: some confusion about visiting/attending vigil, best neither we decided. We will text/phone/write to them see what they’re needing.
6. Climate Camp, Mossmorran, Fife, 9th – 14th July. Cancelled Edin CND supporting.
7. Hiroshima Day: Thursday August 6th. We need Plan B in case cancelled. Castle St site thought to be suitable if does go ahead, so we will book this space.
We will commemorate the 75th anniversary of the atomic bombing, by an online event if necessary.
We noted Peace and Justice Centre are planning an event for their 140,000 cranes. Possible we may join in? We will seek out animations on the story behind the crane making.
A discussion ensued, Fukushima and the similarity of the Japanese governments reaction to it and to the virus.
On illness leading to short staffing at Nuclear power/war sites: SCND has written to Office of Nuclear Regulation about this, suggesting sites be shut for safety reasons.
New Labour leadership incl pro nuclear figures in Scotland, ‘a lurch to the right’.
8. Social media, we now have help with Facebook page. We need a ‘blogger’ to help with this page. Anyone up for it? More tweeting would be good too.
9. AOCB: Curious that only Patrick Harvie MSP of Greens a member of PNND (Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non Proliferation and Disarmament), why not more?
Further Reading: see our ‘Interesting Articles’ page for recent articles on Trident after Coronavirus and The NPT treaty
From http://www.cndyk.org: CND is demanding that the government gets its priorities in order and takes concrete steps to live up to its commitments under the NPT by disarming its nuclear arsenal.