Edinburgh CND Calendar for 2020
Business meetings are at the Peace & Justice Centre in the Methodist Church, Nicolson Square from 6.30pm on the first Tuesday of each month (note slight change in time). APRIL: please note it is likely that this meeting will be cancelled
Leafleting takes place on the second Saturday of the month from 1230-1.00 pm at the east end of Princes St, opposite the Balmoral Hotel.
We also make regular support visits to Faslane Peace Camp. The first of these is likely to be in March. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to come with us and/or have items for donation.
1. Tuesday 7th: Regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre Epworth Halls 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BX.
2. Thursday 9th : 5.30 pm East End of Princes St: No War with Iran Protest
3. Saturday 11th: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
4. Friday 24th: Nuclear Free Local Authorities meeting, Glasgow City Chambers
1. Tuesday 4th Edinburgh CND business meeting
2. Saturday 8th 1230 leafletting Princes St
3. 14th-16th ICAN Campaigners Forum, Paris
1. Tuesday 3rd Edinburgh CND business meeting 6.30pm at Peace and Justice Centre Epworth Halls 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BX.
2. Thursday 5th 50th anniversary of Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty
3. Sunday 8th March: Edinburgh Peace Walk Postponed
4. Saturday 14th 1230 leafletting Princes St
1. Saturday 4th SCND ‘Beyond Nuclear’ Conference Glasgow
2. Tuesday 7th Edinburgh CND business meeting. Provisionally cancelled (cover-19). Watch this space for alternative (on-line) arrangements
3. Saturday 11th 1230 leafletting Princes St
1. Saturday 2nd Edinburgh’s May Day Demo and Rally
2. Tuesday 5th Edinburgh CND business meeting
3. Wednesday 6th May. Showing of ‘The Plan’ film about the Lucas Plan
4. Saturday 9th 1230 leafletting Princes St
1. Tuesday 2nd Edinburgh CND business meeting
2. Saturday 6th Meadows Festival or Corstorphine Fair: ‘Plants for Peace’
3. Sunday 7th Meadows Festival ‘Plants for Peace’
4. Saturday 13th 1230 leafletting Princes St. Possible Stall at Leith Festival
5. Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons New York
1. Tuesday 7th Edinburgh CND business meeting
2. Saturday 11th 1230 leafletting Princes St
1. Tuesday 4th Edinburgh CND business meeting
2. Thursday 6th 75th anniversary of Hiroshima: Edinburgh commemoration
3. Saturday 8th 1230 leafletting Princes St
4. Sunday 9th 75th anniversary of Nagasaki
1. Tuesday 1st Edinburgh CND business meeting
2. Saturday 12th 1230 leafletting Princes St
3. Monday 21st UN International Day of Peace
1. Saturday 3rd AUOB Edinburgh
2. Tuesday 6th Edinburgh CND business meeting and/or ECND meeting at the Edinburgh World Justice Festival
3. Saturday 10th 1230 leafletting Princes St
1. Tuesday 3rd Edinburgh CND business meeting
2. SCND AGM? Glasgow
3. Monday 9th – Thursday 19th COP Glasgow
4. Tuesday 10th Edinburgh CND Comedy Benefit Night, The Stand, York Place.
5. Saturday 14th 1230 leafletting Princes St
1. Tuesday 1st:Edinburgh CND AGM and social
2. Saturday 12th 1230 leafletting Princes St
EVENTS IN DECEMBER
1. Tuesday 3rd December: 5.30pm (note change of time) East End of Princes Street: Protest against the NATO summit being held in London that day.
2. Tuesday 3rd December: AGM and Seasonal social 7pm at Peace and Justice Centre (After NATO protest)
3. Saturday 14th December: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
EVENTS IN NOVEMBER
1.CANCELLED Tuesday 5th November: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre. CANCELLED
2. Saturday 9th November: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
3. Tuesday 19 November: NAE CASH FOR NUKES! Divesting Scotland from nuclear weapons 6 for 6.30-8.30pm , Edinburgh University Law School, Quad Teaching Room G.158, Old College, South Bridge EH8 9YL
Thursday 28th November – Sunday 1st December 2019. Conscience: Taxes for Peace Not War will be hosting the 15th International Conference on War Tax Resistance and Peace Tax Campaigns at the Quaker Meeting House in Edinburg
EVENTS IN OCTOBER
1.Tuesday 1st October ECND/EWJF meeting on Nuclear accidents 7.30pm at QMH regular organising meeting 6pm over coffee before
2. Thursday 3rd October (note change of date): trip to Faslane: email@example.com for details.
3.Saturday 12th October: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street. Also EWJF Conference
4. War School Screening @ EWJF Tuesday 15 October, 6.30pm to 9pm
at David Hume Tower, EdinburghThis documentary looks at the dangers militarism poses to the nation’s youngest generations and is sponsored by a number of organisations including EdinburghCND 5. Saturday 19th October: EWJF BOOKFAIR with ECND stall
EVENTS IN SEPTEMBER
1.Sunday 1st September: Portobello Village Show Rosefield Park Portobello 2pm to 5pm
2.Tuesday 3rd September: regular organising meeting 6pm at New Peace and Justice Centre.
3.Saturday 14th September: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
Edinburgh World Justice Festival 2019 runs from 28th September to 19th October -check out the programme at www.ewjf.org.uk
1. Tuesday 6th August HIROSHIMA DAY Commemoration VENUE TO BE CONFIMED but likely to be Castle Street from 6pm to 7pm. Followed by regular organising meeting afterwards at Peace and Justice Centre.
There will also be a organising meeting, for the NATO campaign, in Glasgow at 3pm
2. Saturday 10th August: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street. Education Not Trident. NB it is also day after Nagasaki day
3. Wednesday 25th August: trip to Faslane Peace Camp. email firstname.lastname@example.org for details NB this maybe combined with a trip to Hunterston (see main post)
1. Tuesday 2nd July: regular organising meeting 6pm at New Peace and Justice Centre.
3. Saturday 13th July: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street NHS Not Trident
EVENTS IN JUNE
1. Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd June Meadows Festival
2. Tuesday 4th June: Protest Trumps Drive to War 5.30 pm to 7pm St Giles Cathedral High Street, followed by regular organising meeting 7pm at New Peace and Justice Centre.
3. Saturday 8th June: Leith Festival Gala. Leith Links, Edinburgh, EH6 7, United Kingdom 10am to 5pm. Note our regular 2nd Saturday leafleting will be postponed.
4. Tuesday 11th June6:30 PM – 9 PM Grassmarket Community Project Candlemaker Row: Film screening “War School: The Battle for Britains Children”
5. Saturday 15th June: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street Transport Not Trident
6. Saturday 29th June: Don’t Attack Iran: 1330 at the East End of Princes street
1. Saturday 4th May: Edinburgh May Day March and rally (supported by Edinburgh CND). Assemble 1130 Johnston Terrace and march off (with the Edinburgh CND banner) at 1200. Rally 1230 at the pleasance theatre. Penny Stone will be singing for Edinburgh CND and we will have a stall.
2. Sunday 5th May: Stall at May Day book fair Kirkgate Community Centre Leith 12 noon to 6pm
3. Tuesday 7th May: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre. NOTE new address: 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BX
4. Friday 10th May: NVLA meeting in Dundee (see main post)
5. Saturday 11th May:12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
6. Wednesday 15 May. Conscientious Objectors Day Vigil 5 – 6pm. NOTE VENUE CHANGE: Now at: Outside Register House, by the Wellington Statue, East End of Princes St
EVENTS IN APRIL
1. Tuesday 2nd April: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre. NOTE new address: 25 Nicolson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BX
2. Thursday 4th April: Scotland out of NATO, NATO out of Scotland. Demonstrate from 1pm to 2pm junction of Castle Street with Princes Street
3. Saturday 13th April: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street: Climate Change theme
4. CHANGE OF DATE: THURSDAY 25th APRIL. Edinburgh CND will join the Don’t Bank on the Bomb outside the RBS AGM is at their corporate HQ on Glasgow Rd at Gogarburn; meet at the road entrance 1 – 2pm that day with a placards etc.
5. Saturday 27th April: Surround Springfield: Salwick, near Preston in Lancashire: see main post
EVENTS IN MARCH
1. Tuesday 5th March: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre.
2. Thursday 7th March: An Evening with Prof Paul Rogers. Title: Risks of Conflict and Options for Peace in the 2020s. Sanctuary, Augustine United Church, 41 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EL Date: Time: Registration: 6.30pm-7pm. Event: 7pm-8.45pm. 3. Saturday 9th March: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street: Housing not Trident theme. (also possible trip to Faslane: Please email for more information)
Magdalena and her colleague from Germany will be here to discuss this campaign with all who are interested at 7.30 -8.30 on 11th March in room G02, 50 George Square at the University of Edinburgh.
5. The Faslane campers are up in court on Thursday March 21st. This is likely to be the final court date, and the campers will be holding a party at the camp afterwards, to which all are warmly invited.
5. Wednesday 27th March Edinburgh CND, Edinburgh Stop the War and Edinburgh Radical Independence Campaign are having a meeting on NATO withdrawal. 7pm Augustine United George IVth Bridge EH1 1EL
EVENTS IN FEBRUARY:
0. Monday 4th February: Protest in Edinburgh at the Russian consulate in Melville Street at 9.am
. and then walk to the US consulate on Regent Terrace for a protest there at 10.15. This is in response to the collapse of the US/Russian Federation bilateral treaty on intermediate-range nuclear forces (the INF) and aims to urge the parties to get back into constructive dialogue and to point up the vital importance of the UN Nuclear Ban Treaty (TPNW).
1. Tuesday 5th February: Another meeting is planned about the serious nuclear safety issues at Hunterston B onin the University of Edinburgh at 4pm Ian’s technical report (discussed at the January meeting is available on request edinburghCND@yahoo.com
2. Tuesday 5th February: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre. 3. Saturday 9th February: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
4. NATO has its 70th anniversary in April. How will we mark it? Tuesday 12th February 2019 – 7pm – Yes Hub (31 Lasswade Road, Edinburgh, EH16 6TD
Thursday 14th February 2019 – 7:30pm – Quaker Meeting House (7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2JL)
5. Thursday 21st February: The final court date (trial) for the Hiroshima Day Blockade at Faslane last year takes place at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on the 21st at 9:40 or so.
6. Saturday 23rd February The third Radical Fair, a festival for groups campaigning for a fairer Scotland is in the Augustine Church 41 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EL 12 noon – 3.30pm. ECND will have a stall
1. Wednesday 9th January the case against restarting Hunterston B, Ian Fairlie. 4pm, Room 214, Appleton Tower, 11 Crichton St, Edinburgh EH8 9LE (
2.Saturday 12th January: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
3.Trip to Faslane planned for the following week contact email@example.com
4.. Saturday 26 January: Saturday 26 January:SCND’s ‘Scotland: A Peace of History’ will begin in Edinburgh at the Quaker Meeting House.7 Victoria Terrace Edinburgh EH1 2JL The Timeline pop-up event will take place from 3pm-5pm Saturday 26 January in the Meeting Room upstairs.
EVENTS IN DECEMBER 2018
1. Saturday 1st: Possible visit to Faslane and reshowing of Madam Secretary (see 10/10)
2. Tuesday 4th December: Edinburgh CND AGM and Annual Festive meeting (donations of food and drink welcome but not compulsory) 6pm to 8pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh. All Supporters Welcome.
3. Saturday 8th December Yemen protest and CND leafletting East end of Princes Street 11am to 1pm
+++4. A trip to Faslane is planned. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
EVENTS IN NOVEMBER
1. Tuesday 6th November: We will be having our usual organising meeting at 6pm in the Peace and Justice Centre.
2. Thursday 8th November White Poppy Sale at the east end of Princes Street 5pm
3. Scottish CND AGM is on 10th November 2018
at Renfield St Stephen’s Centre, Glasgow, G2 4JP. Registration from 10:00am see http://www.banthebomb.org
for more details
EVENTS IN OCTOBER
EDINBURGH WORLD JUSTICE FESTIVAL CONTINUES:
Tue 2 Oct, We will be having our usual organising meeting at 6pm in the Peace and Justice Centre.
Thu 4 Oct, 7.30pmThe real cost of the Scottish arms industry
Augustine United Church, EH1 1EL
Edinburgh Stop the WarUN:
Wed 10 Oct, 7 – 9pm What price Nuclear War?
Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, EH1 2JL
Edinburgh Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
Sat 13 Oct, 11am – 4.30pm Book Fair and forums
Epworth Halls, Methodist church, 25 Nicolson Square, EH8 9BX
www.sfbbooks.wordpress.com We will have a stall at this event. We will also go to the East End of Princes Street from 1230 for our usual monthly leafleting session. White Poppy Stalls: 1pm Thursday 25th October at the University of Edinburgh (George Square/Appleton Tower junction). 5pm Wednesday 31st October at the east end of Princes Street
EVENTS IN SEPTEMBER
- Sat 1st and Sun 2nd is the Mela at Leith Links. Edinburgh CND will join Edinburgh Stop the War in leafleting and petitioning people as they arrive. We’ll do from midday to 2pm each day with lots of leaflets for the 22nd.
- Tuesday 4th September: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre
- Saturday 8th September: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
- Wednesday 19th September: Placard making at the Peace and Justice Centre
- Thursday 20th: Don’t Bank on the Bomb Meeting (see main post)
- Friday 21st: 1230, Discussion at Scottish Party (see main post)
- Saturday 22nd September: Nae Nukes Rally at Faslane (see main posts for travel details)
- Saturday 29th September:
Conference: Reimagining the Economy
Sat 29 Sep, 9:45 – 5:30pm Edinburgh Methodist Church 25 Nicolson Square EH8 9BX
EWJF and Jubilee Scotland. ECND will have a stall at this event.
Followed by Launch party!
Sat 29 Sep, 19:00 – 22:30 Join us for a fun evening
Greyfriars Charteris Centre, 140 Pleasance, EH8 9RR
EVENTS IN AUGUST
- Monday 6th August: Annual Hiroshima Commemoration https://www.facebook.com/events/293895434686141/
- Tuesday 7th August: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre
- Saturday 10th August: POSTPONED Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
- Wednesday 15th August: Yer Tees Oot
- NEW EVENT: Friday 17th August: SCND street collection and stall 1200 to 4pm at the East end of Princes Street
- Saturday 18th August: 1230 Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
- Tuesday August 21 – 12:30 pm – 2 pm, far end of Princes Street – opposite Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh SCND stall to promote the Nae Nukes Rally & the nuclear ban treaty
- Thursday August 23rd: Memorial/ funeral for Anne Scott
EVENTS IN JULY
1. Tuesday 3rd July: ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh
2. Saturday 7th July 12.00pm No to Nato – join the nuclear ban. Protest in solidarity with the demonstration that will be taking place in Brussels where the NATO summit meeting is taking place. East end of Princes Street next to the Wellington Statue.
3. Friday 13th and Saturday 14th July Trump’s visit – keep an eye on the Facebook page and the websites for details of the events being organized by Scotland Against Trump
4. POSTPONED: Wednesday 18th July Open Meeting. Janet Fenton reporting on the ‘prep’ talks in Geneva
EVENTS in JUNE
1. Saturday 2nd 10am to &pm and Sunday 3rd June 11am to 6pm; ‘Plants for Peace’ our annual fund-raising stall at the Meadows Festival Edinburgh. Meadows EH9 9EX The stall is number C26, that’s on Coronation Walk, which runs from the Meadows park pavilion on Melville Drive to Chalmers Street, past the funfair.
2. 1. Tuesday 5th June: ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh
3. Saturday 9th June: monthly leafleting, 12.30 pm at the East End of Princes Street.
Stall at Leith Festival Gala Day on Leith Links EH6 7QR 9am to 5pm
4. Tuesday 19th June: Public Meeting with Bruce Gagnon from the Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space, Will Griffin (US Vet for Peace) and Mary Beth Sullivan (also from the Global Network). 7pm at the Peace and Justice Centre 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh EH1 2JN.
This should be a good launch for events around Trumps visit (13th/14th July)
5.Thursday 28th June 7.30pm
No to War, No to Trump – Edinburgh Stop the War public meeting – with Lindsey German – Stop the War UK’s convener – at the Augustine Church, George 4th Bridge
6. CAAT events in Glasgow 23rd to 26th June: see main page.
EVENTS in MAY
1. Tuesday 1st May : ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh
2. Wednesday 2nd May 5pm Debate in Scottish Parliament about Nuclear Weapons Convoys. Mark Ruskell is booking a room where we can discuss what was said afterwards and have some refreshments. Please let us know if you want to join us.
3. Saturday 5th May: The Edinburgh CND supported May Day march and rally will take place on Saturday 5th May. Assemble (top of) Johnston Terrace 11.30 for 12 noon. March behind the Edinburgh CND banner and join us for the rally in the Pleasance Theatre from 12.30.
4. Saturday 12th May: monthly leafleting, 12.30 pm at the East End of Princes Street
5. Tuesday 15th May International Conscientious Objectors Day Annual Vigil
5-6pm. Foot of the Mound, by National Gallery off Princes St, Edinburgh. Followed by: Opposing War: Memorial Design Launch 6:30 – 8pm. Doors 6:10pm for a cup of Tea Quaker Meeting House followed by wreath laying
6. Saturday 19th May: PLEASE NOTE BOTH EVENTS PLANNED FOR THIS DAY HAVE BEEN POSTPONED
7. Wednesday 30th May: ICAN meeting in Edinburgh
In June: Once again we’re having our ‘Plants For Peace’ stall at the Meadows Festival. Saturday and Sunday the 2nd and 3rd of June, sharing with Edinburgh Stop The War. This is our biggest event of the year, enjoyable, but tiring! raising our profile and earning the cash we need for our campaigning against nuclear weapons. We need your help, please get in touch email@example.com if you can offer any help whatsoever (on the day or growing plants before hand)
In the longer run: Scotland is going to welcome the world to Faslane on Saturday September 22nd from 12 noon. Under the banner ‘Nae Nukes, Anywhere’ we plan to celebrate the UN Treaty banning nuclear weapons and, at the site where the UK’s Trident missiles are based, say loud and clear we want them scrapped – for good. You want to help? Contact Edinburgh CND firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a bus going from Edinburgh: It will leave Joppa/Portobello at 8.00 am. Pick up points at Waterloo Place and Haymarket.
Return from Faslane is 3.30pm
EVENTS in APRIL
- Tuesday 3rd April: ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh.
- Wednesday 4th April: Trip to Faslane. Edinburghcnd@yahoo.com
- Saturday 14th April: monthly leafleting, 12.30 pm at the East End of Princes Street (combined with Don’t Bomb Syria)
- Thursday 19th April: Trip to Faslane. Edinburghcnd@yahoo.com
- Saturday 21st April: Don’t Bomb Syria, leafletting and petitioning at the east end of Princes Street 12 -2pm
- Thursday 26th April: 7.30pm – Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh– Public Meeting with Tim Coles author of “Fire and Fury: How the US Isolates North Korea, Encircles China and Risks Nuclear War in Asia” and Dave Webb Chair of CNDUK Organised by EdinburghCND and Edinburgh Stop the War.
EVENTS in MARCH
1. Tuesday 6 March: ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh.
2. Friday 9 March: Next full working group meeting for the big Faslane demonstration on the 22nd September (note new date) at the SCND office in Glasgow at 5.30pm (77 Southpark Ave G12 8LE).
Edinburgh CND are running a bus to the demo ‘The Sheila Skinner Faslane Bus’ in memory of Sheila who died in January.
3. Saturday 10 March: monthly leafleting, 12.30 pm at the East End of Princes Street. Followed by 140,000 Origami Cranes Workshop 2 – 4pm at the Peace and Justice Centre.
4. Saturday 17 March: Scotland Endangered Helensburgh Parish Church Halls, Colquhoun St, 10.30 – 6 pm, organised by Helensburgh CND.
Join Helensburgh CND and their conference to hear about the hazards associated with nuclear weapons regardless of whether or not anyone ever actually pushes the button.Radioactive materials are transported on our roads, from our airports and on our railways, and our air and water are contaminated by radioactive elements and processes. This follows Edinburgh’s successful meeting on the 21st. If you missed it you can see and hear a recording on our Facebook page.
5. POSTPONED Saturday 24th March: 2.30pm – Public Meeting at the Augustine Church, George 4thBridge – POSTPONED
6. Next Faslane trip first week April
EVENTS IN JANUARY 2018
- Saturday 13 January 2018, monthly leafleting 1230 East End of Princes Street
- Wednesday 17 January 2018, Film Screening: Nuclear Savage
7 to 9pm
Augustine United Church
41 to 43 George IV Bridge
For Facebook event click here
For Eventbrite tickets click here.It was a Pacific island paradise…until the United States tested nuclear weapons and conducted secret human radiation experiments. Experiments that would remain top-secret for decades, until now.
This documentary reveals a shocking political expose, and an intimate ethnographic portrait of Pacific Islanders struggling for survival, dignity and justice after decades of top-secret human radiation experiments conducted on them by the US government.
As geopolitical tensions between nuclear armed states continue to escalate, please join us to watch this timely reminder of the humanitarian devastation caused by nuclear weapons. Weapons that threaten our very survival as long as they are allowed to exist.
Entry by donation (suggested amount: £3 to help Edinburgh CND cover the cost of room hire).
Please book through Eventbrite if you would like to reserve a place. However, we will also be allowing folk to turn up on the day.
- Visit to Faslane Peace Camp; provisionally Saturday 27th Feb. Contact us to check.
EVENTS IN FEBRUARY:
1. Tuesday 6th February. Monthly planning meeting 6pm at the Peace and Justice Centre.
2. Saturday 10th February: Monthly leafleting 1230 at the East End of Princes Street.
3. Wednesday 21st February: Open Meeting on Nuclear Convoys. 7pm at the Peace and justice Centre
Draft Calendar for rest of 2018
Business meetings:1st Tuesday of the month. 6pm at the Peace & Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh, EH1 2JN
6th March, 3rd April, 1st May, 5th June, 3rd July, 7th August, 2nd October, 6th November, 4th December (AGM and Social)
Open Meetings: Usually 3rd Wednesday of the month
See Website, Face book and Twitter for future months
Leafletting on the 2nd Saturday of each month, starting 1230.
Dates are 10th March, 14th April, 12th May, 9th June, 14th July, 11th August, 8th September, 13th October, 10th November and 8th December
Monthly, roughly, a peace convoy takes donated stuff through to Faslane Peace Camp, your donations or help welcomed.
May Day march and Rally, stall. Saturday 5th May
Meadows Festival, joint stall with Edinburgh Stop The War, Saturday and Sunday 2nd/3rd June
Hiroshima Day Monday August 6th, The Mound. Also Edinburgh Festival of Spirituality and Peace during the month.
September 15th Anti Trident Demo Helensburgh/Faslane
October: Edinburgh World Justice Festival. Also motions to SCND AGM. Commemoration of 66th anniversary of 1st UK bomb text.
November: Scottish CND AGM. Centenary of armistice.
December 4th our AGM and social.
EVENTS in DECEMBER
- Saturday 2nd December: Edinburgh CND will have a stall at the Radical Fair between 1pm and 5pm. We will have SCND cards and jewellery for sale, as well as plenty of campaigning materials: Augustine United Church, 41-43 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. This will be the day of our next visit to the Faslane Peace Camp. See main post for details
- 4th December, 7 pm,Nuclear Savage Film + video conference with Pacific ICAN campaigner Glasgow CCA (350 Sauchiehall Street). This will be repeated in January for Edinburgh
- Tuesday 5th December: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting with AGM and winter treats, all welcome: 6pm to 7.30pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh EH1 2JN.
- Friday 8th December: UN House, a partner organisation of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), will hold an open party on the eve of the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony, featuring Protest in Harmony: from 5.30 pm, Dolphin House, 4 Hunter Square, Edinburgh EH1 1Q
- Saturday 9th December: UK CND Day has called a nationwide Day of Action to celebrate ICAN’s Nobel Peace prize win and to promote the United Nations treaty banning nuclear weapons. We will be having our monthly stall that day and intend to make it a part of this event: 12.00 noon (note earlier time) at the East End of Princes Street.
EVENTS in November
1. Saturday 4th: SCND Stall at Edinburgh’s Ecofair The Out of the Blue Drill Hall from 10am to 4pm. White Poppies will also be on sale on the SfB Bookstall
2. Tuesday 7th: Monthly organising meeting 6-7pm at the Peace and Justice Centre
3. Saturday 11th: Monthly leafleting 1230 East End of Princes Street. White Poppy Selling.
4. Saturday 11th (also):
SCND annual conference St Columba’s by the Castle, 14 Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2PW. Registration is from 10 am and the meeting starts at 10:30 am. The meeting should last until about 3 pm and a lunch will be provided. The agenda is available on the website
5. Sunday 12th 1pm to 4pm Poppies for Peace film showing. Grassmarket Community Project Candlemaker Row
6. Wednesday 15th: Socially Constructed Radiation Hazards: Nuclear Power and Fracking 4 – 5.30 pm
Staff Room, sixth floor Chrystal Macmillan Building, 15a George Square Edinburgh EH8 9LD
7. Wednesday 15th: Don’t Bank on the Bomb Scotland invites you to a Stop Funding Nukes public meeting in the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria St, Edinburgh EH1 2JL on 2017. Doors open at 6:30 pm and meeting starts at 7 pm. This is an Edinburgh CND supported event
8++Gerry Mulvenna has kindly agreed to shoot a wee video to send a message to ICAN in Oslo from all Scottish supporters. If you can participate, please come to the foot of Castle Street, Edinburgh for ten am on Saturday 25th November.
9. Monthly peace convoy tba to Faslane Peace Camp-donations welcome.
EDINBURGH CND CALENDAR FOR May-December 2017