Monthly meetings in 2022 will be a mixture of online and in person; check emails for details.
EVENTS IN 2022
Tuesday 4th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm (online via Zoom)
Thursday 20th: SCND Local Groups Meeting
Tuesday 1st: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm (online via Zoom)
Tuesday 1st: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm (in person at Platform 5 bar, beside Haymarket station)
Sunday 6th: Solidarity Event for Ukraine with Edinburgh peace groups: 3pm, Castle Street.
Tuesday 5th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm in the Upper Bar of Ryrie’s Bar, Haymarket
Friday 8th: Don’t Bank on the Bomb Scotland Day of Action – RBS and Natwest protest: 12-1pm, Edinburgh.
Saturday 7th: May Day celebrations / Edinburgh and Lothians May Rally. Details to follow.
Wednesday 4th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm – ONLINE MEETING
Thursday 5th: Scottish Local Elections
Date TBC: Leith Festival
Saturday 4th: Corstorphine Fair
Sunday 5th: Meadows Festival
Tuesday 7th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm
Sunday 12th: 40th anniversary of Faslane Peace Camp
Tuesday 5th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm
Tuesday 2nd: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm
Saturday 6th: Hiroshima Memorial Day
Tuesday 9th: Nagasaki Memorial Day
Tuesday 6th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm
Wednesday 21st: UN International Day of Peace
Saturday 1st: AUOB Edinburgh Rally
Monday 3rd: 70th Anniversary of first UK Nuclear Tests
Tuesday 4th: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm
Tuesday 1st: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting, 6pm
Saturday 19th: SCND AGM
Tuesday 6th: Edinburgh CND AGM and social
EVENTS IN DECEMBER
Thursday 28th November – Sunday 1st December 2019. Conscience: Taxes for Peace Not War will be hosting the 15th International Conference on War Tax Resistance and Peace Tax Campaigns at the Quaker Meeting House in Edinburg
4. War School Screening @ EWJF Tuesday 15 October, 6.30pm to 9pm
at David Hume Tower, EdinburghThis documentary looks at the dangers militarism poses to the nation’s youngest generations and is sponsored by a number of organisations including EdinburghCND 5. Saturday 19th October: EWJF BOOKFAIR with ECND stall
EVENTS IN JULY
4. Friday 19 July: 15:00 – 17:00. Room 1.20, Dugald Stewart Building, 3 Charles Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9ADBooking is Required. Chernobyl- Survival & the Future: Professor Kate Brown
Thursday 14th February 2019 – 7:30pm – Quaker Meeting House (7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2JL)
EVENTS IN OCTOBER
Augustine United Church, EH1 1EL
Edinburgh Stop the WarUN:
Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, EH1 2JL
Edinburgh Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
Sat 13 Oct, 11am – 4.30pm Book Fair and forums
Epworth Halls, Methodist church, 25 Nicolson Square, EH8 9BX
www.sfbbooks.wordpress.com We will have a stall at this event. We will also go to the East End of Princes Street from 1230 for our usual monthly leafleting session. White Poppy Stalls: 1pm Thursday 25th October at the University of Edinburgh (George Square/Appleton Tower junction). 5pm Wednesday 31st October at the east end of Princes Street
EVENTS IN SEPTEMBER
- Sat 1st and Sun 2nd is the Mela at Leith Links. Edinburgh CND will join Edinburgh Stop the War in leafleting and petitioning people as they arrive. We’ll do from midday to 2pm each day with lots of leaflets for the 22nd.
- Tuesday 4th September: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre
- Saturday 8th September: 12 30, Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
- Wednesday 19th September: Placard making at the Peace and Justice Centre
- Thursday 20th: Don’t Bank on the Bomb Meeting (see main post)
- Friday 21st: 1230, Discussion at Scottish Party (see main post)
- Saturday 22nd September: Nae Nukes Rally at Faslane (see main posts for travel details)
- Saturday 29th September:
Conference: Reimagining the Economy
Sat 29 Sep, 9:45 – 5:30pm Edinburgh Methodist Church 25 Nicolson Square EH8 9BX
EWJF and Jubilee Scotland. ECND will have a stall at this event.
Followed by Launch party!
Sat 29 Sep, 19:00 – 22:30 Join us for a fun evening
Greyfriars Charteris Centre, 140 Pleasance, EH8 9RR
EVENTS IN AUGUST
- Monday 6th August: Annual Hiroshima Commemoration https://www.facebook.com/events/293895434686141/
- Tuesday 7th August: regular organising meeting 6pm at Peace and Justice Centre
- Saturday 10th August: POSTPONED Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
- Wednesday 15th August: Yer Tees Oot
- NEW EVENT: Friday 17th August: SCND street collection and stall 1200 to 4pm at the East end of Princes Street
- Saturday 18th August: 1230 Leafleting at the East End of Princes Street
- Tuesday August 21 – 12:30 pm – 2 pm, far end of Princes Street – opposite Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh SCND stall to promote the Nae Nukes Rally & the nuclear ban treaty
- Thursday August 23rd: Memorial/ funeral for Anne Scott
EVENTS IN JULY
2. Saturday 7th July 12.00pm No to Nato – join the nuclear ban. Protest in solidarity with the demonstration that will be taking place in Brussels where the NATO summit meeting is taking place. East end of Princes Street next to the Wellington Statue.
3. Friday 13th and Saturday 14th July Trump’s visit – keep an eye on the Facebook page and the websites for details of the events being organized by Scotland Against Trump
4. POSTPONED: Wednesday 18th July Open Meeting. Janet Fenton reporting on the ‘prep’ talks in Geneva
No to War, No to Trump – Edinburgh Stop the War public meeting – with Lindsey German – Stop the War UK’s convener – at the Augustine Church, George 4th Bridge
6. CAAT events in Glasgow 23rd to 26th June: see main page.
3. Saturday 5th May: The Edinburgh CND supported May Day march and rally will take place on Saturday 5th May. Assemble (top of) Johnston Terrace 11.30 for 12 noon. March behind the Edinburgh CND banner and join us for the rally in the Pleasance Theatre from 12.30.
5-6pm. Foot of the Mound, by National Gallery off Princes St, Edinburgh. Followed by: Opposing War: Memorial Design Launch 6:30 – 8pm. Doors 6:10pm for a cup of Tea Quaker Meeting House followed by wreath laying
In June: Once again we’re having our ‘Plants For Peace’ stall at the Meadows Festival. Saturday and Sunday the 2nd and 3rd of June, sharing with Edinburgh Stop The War. This is our biggest event of the year, enjoyable, but tiring! raising our profile and earning the cash we need for our campaigning against nuclear weapons. We need your help, please get in touch email@example.com if you can offer any help whatsoever (on the day or growing plants before hand)
Return from Faslane is 3.30pm
- Tuesday 3rd April: ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh.
- Wednesday 4th April: Trip to Faslane. Edinburghcnd@yahoo.com
- Saturday 14th April: monthly leafleting, 12.30 pm at the East End of Princes Street (combined with Don’t Bomb Syria)
- Thursday 19th April: Trip to Faslane. Edinburghcnd@yahoo.com
- Saturday 21st April: Don’t Bomb Syria, leafletting and petitioning at the east end of Princes Street 12 -2pm
- Thursday 26th April: 7.30pm – Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh– Public Meeting with Tim Coles author of “Fire and Fury: How the US Isolates North Korea, Encircles China and Risks Nuclear War in Asia” and Dave Webb Chair of CNDUK Organised by EdinburghCND and Edinburgh Stop the War.
EVENTS IN JANUARY 2018
- Saturday 13 January 2018, monthly leafleting 1230 East End of Princes Street
- Wednesday 17 January 2018, Film Screening: Nuclear Savage
7 to 9pm
Augustine United Church
41 to 43 George IV Bridge
For Facebook event click here
For Eventbrite tickets click here.It was a Pacific island paradise…until the United States tested nuclear weapons and conducted secret human radiation experiments. Experiments that would remain top-secret for decades, until now.
This documentary reveals a shocking political expose, and an intimate ethnographic portrait of Pacific Islanders struggling for survival, dignity and justice after decades of top-secret human radiation experiments conducted on them by the US government.
As geopolitical tensions between nuclear armed states continue to escalate, please join us to watch this timely reminder of the humanitarian devastation caused by nuclear weapons. Weapons that threaten our very survival as long as they are allowed to exist.
Entry by donation (suggested amount: £3 to help Edinburgh CND cover the cost of room hire).
Please book through Eventbrite if you would like to reserve a place. However, we will also be allowing folk to turn up on the day.
- Visit to Faslane Peace Camp; provisionally Saturday 27th Feb. Contact us to check.
EVENTS IN FEBRUARY:
EVENTS in DECEMBER
- Saturday 2nd December: Edinburgh CND will have a stall at the Radical Fair between 1pm and 5pm. We will have SCND cards and jewellery for sale, as well as plenty of campaigning materials: Augustine United Church, 41-43 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. This will be the day of our next visit to the Faslane Peace Camp. See main post for details
- 4th December, 7 pm,Nuclear Savage Film + video conference with Pacific ICAN campaigner Glasgow CCA (350 Sauchiehall Street). This will be repeated in January for Edinburgh
- Tuesday 5th December: Edinburgh CND monthly meeting with AGM and winter treats, all welcome: 6pm to 7.30pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh EH1 2JN.
- Friday 8th December: UN House, a partner organisation of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), will hold an open party on the eve of the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony, featuring Protest in Harmony: from 5.30 pm, Dolphin House, 4 Hunter Square, Edinburgh EH1 1Q
- Saturday 9th December: UK CND Day has called a nationwide Day of Action to celebrate ICAN’s Nobel Peace prize win and to promote the United Nations treaty banning nuclear weapons. We will be having our monthly stall that day and intend to make it a part of this event: 12.00 noon (note earlier time) at the East End of Princes Street.
Wednesday 11th October 7pm at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace: Faslane Peace Camp – what can we learn – organized by Edinburgh CND https://www.facebook.com/events/1928856954056199/1. Reminder: The Peace Boat will be visiting Edinburgh on the 3rd October between 2.30 and 9.00pmThere will be Hibakusha on board, and young climate change ambassadors from Japan along with other Japanese participants when peace boat is visiting Edinburgh.More about the young people here:In the early evening they will visit the Peace and Justice Centre, and the Paper Crane Project. They arrive at the Centre at 7pm so we will see them after our monthly organising meeting (6-7pm, same venue) .
2. The Edinburgh World Justice Festival, of which Edinburgh CND is a part, is organising or supporting a number of important meetings over the next three weeks. We hope to see you at some of them.
Saturday 30th September: Festival Launch 6-8pm Fig Tree Cafe EH1 1SU
Sunday 1st October; Edinburgh Peace and Justice Centre: Campaign Non-Viloence. Bridgend Farmhouse EH16 4TD 1-5pm AND Opening of From Hiroshima to Faslane exhibition at Methodist Church. Runs 7pm 1st Oct to 1pm on 7th
Wednesday 4th October, at 50 George Square, Room G04, Screening of Shadow World (organized by CAAT and Take One Action), Panel Discussion includes Stop the War https://www.facebook.com/events/474657216228840/
Thursday 5th October 7pm at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace – The Shadow World – inside the global arms trade – with author and activist Andrew Feinstein (Edinburgh Stop the War and others). NB The film can be seen the day before 4th October 7pm at 50 George Square EH8 9JU https://www.facebook.com/events/142391576367622/
Monday 9th October 7pm at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace: International Peace – Women’s Campaigns organized by SWILPF https://www.facebook.com/events/1675467595806046/?
Wednesday 11th October 7pm at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace: Faslane Peace Camp – what can we learn – organized by Edinburgh CND https://www.facebook.com/events/1928856954056199/
Saturday 14th October: Conference 10am to 6pm Kings Hall Community Church
Monday 16th October 7.30pm at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace: Learning from mass movements against war – organizing for the future – organized by Edinburgh Stop the War
++++for the full festival programme go to www.ewjf.org.uk
EDINBURGH CND CALENDAR FOR July-December 2017
Tuesday 1st August 6pm. Monthly meeting at the Peace and Justice Centre.Hiroshima Day Sunday 6th August-Mound Precinct/ Princes Street Time 6pm-7pm https://www.facebook.com/events/1506560019405375/?Leaflet/street stall second Saturday (12th) 1230pm East End of Princes StreetMonthly peace convoy to Faslane Peace Camp-donations welcome.SEPTEMBERSeptember 8th Monthly meeting 6pm Peace and Justice CentreStalls at Unis/Colleges?Leaflet/street stall second Saturday (9th) 1230 East End of Princes St
EH1 2JN (Next to Quaker Meeting House)
WHEN: Wednesday, 13th September 2017
TIME: 5 pm -7pm
Korea-Don’t let Trump take the world to the brink of nuclear war UK: sign the Ban Treaty
Monthly peace convoy to Faslane peace camp-donations welcome.OCTOBEROctober 3rd, Tuesday, Monthly meeting and meet the Peace BoatEdinburgh World Justice Festival event-Tuesday 11th-Edinburgh CND host 2 Faslane Peace Campers: Theme: Fighting BackOrganise for SCND AGM eg attendance/motionsLeaflet/street stall second Saturday (14th) 1230 East End of Princes StMonthly peace convoy to Faslane Peace Camp-donations welcome.
December 5th Monthly meeting: AGM and Xmas social 6pm Peace and Justice CentreLeaflet/street stall second Saturday (9th) 1230 East End of Princes StreetMonthly peace convoy to Faslane Peace Camp-donations welcome.
EDINBURGH CND CALENDAR FOR May-December 2017