Following the decision to bomb Syria Edinburgh Stop the War has organised this public meeting to provide a space to pool ideas and discuss practical steps to take the campaign forward. We will have a small number of short plenary contributions but most of the time will be for discussion and debate – we will organise the event to maximise the opportunities for participation.
Wednesday 16th December Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2JL 7.30pm to 9.30pm. EdinburghCND is supporting this important meeting (see 2 below)
There may also be a Peace Vigil on 24th December (watch this space)
- Edinburgh CND Monthly Meeting Monday 7th December 6pm in ACE 17 West Montgomery Place, Edinburgh, EH7 5HA All welcome. Edinburgh CND leafleting 12.30 Saturday 12th (East End of Princes Street)
2. Edinburgh Stop the War Public Meeting on the situation in Syria Quaker Meeting House Victoria Terrace,7.30pm on the 16th December (the day before the Scrap Trident Meeting)
3. Hot off the presses, and straight from the creative desk of Gwen Sinclair, here are the 2015 SCND Christmas cards, with a topical message about the cost of Trident Renewal. The latest estimate is £167billion – now there’s something to write home about! The wording inside the card says “Seasons Greetings” and “There is a £167 billion coin hidden in the CND Christmas pudding. This is the amount we can save by scrapping Trident” Please buy some to support SCND financially £4 for 10 for pick up and at our stalls £5 for 10 including posting and packing
4. December Newsletter from the Peace and Justice Centre; http://peaceandjustice.org.uk
5. The latest issue of nuClear News is now available for downloading at http://www.no2nuclearpower.org.uk/nuclearnews/NuClearNewsNo80.pdf
and latest issue of Drone Campaign news: https://dronecampaignnetwork.wordpress.com
6. At a timely and important seminar in Oxford recently, ICAN partner organisation NFLA (Nuclear Free Local Authorities) highlighted some very worrying shortcomings in safety at nuclear defence installations and on convoy routes. Sean Morris of NFLA said, “Such concerns alarm us as the announcement of the Government’s Strategic Defence and Security Review said virtually nothing about improving defence nuclear safety”.
7. On 27th February 2016, CND is holding a national demonstration to Stop Trident. Help us raise the £35,000 urgently needed, donate today.
This is the most important time for the campaign in a generation. We are just months away from a parliamentary vote on Trident replacement. This is our chance to Stop Trident.
To win, we need to show government and parliament just how many of us want Trident stopped and any replacement cancelled.
CND is bringing the country together on February 27th for a national demonstration to Stop Trident. We need your help to make it as big as it can be. Please donate to help us make this an event that goes down in history. Will you help? Contact CND at email@example.com or 020 7700 2393 to get more information and register to come along.CND is also fundraising.
Women against War Walkabout: 12th December at Aldermaston
Commemorating ‘Embrace the Base’ and protesting against war and nuclear weapons. There is also a London Demo toStop the Bombing of Syria
8. Gabriel Carlyle and Emily Johns are offering to present their 10 poster exhibition and booklet ‘The World is my Country’ in Glasgow on Wednesday 24th February.
9. December 4 2005, Swedish Annie Borjesson was found dead on the shore in Prestwick, Scotland. http://www.thenational.scot/news/lawyer-backs-calls-for-womans-2005-death-to-be-re-investigated.11112