- Edinburgh CND is supporting the Anti Arms Trade Fair organized by CAAT
Saturday 16 April, 11am – 3pm. Foot of the Mound by the Royal Scottish Academy
(If construction work is on on the day – the East End of Prince’s Street).
Let’s celebrate our resistance to the dealers of death…
What moves can we make together to turn investment from arms to renewables, to switch the resources to public funding for health and education?
Come along to find out the facts behind the dealers of death – the profiteers of the arms trade – big and small and in our midst.
Find out more about global and UK government military spending, how the arms trade fuels conflict and contributes to the refugee crisis, UK involvement in bombing Syria & Yemen, and how you can get involved in changing all this.
The Anti Arms Trade Fair is a chance to get the facts out there, to make new contacts and to share our networks.
Let’s analyse, plan and be inspired by testimonials and speeches from individuals affected by the arms trade and organisations working on alternatives for military spending.
Paper Cranes Workshop This day and all Saturdays 2 – 4pm.
Edinburgh Peace & Justice Centre 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh EH1 2JN The project aims to make 140,000 paper cranes in memory of those killed by the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs
Meanwhile in London: Tens of thousands of people are getting ready to demonstrate on tomorrow’s People’s Assembly march for health, homes, jobs and education.
Join the People not Trident bloc to demand an end to plans to replace Trident at a cost of over £100 billion. The money is clearly needed elsewhere, and our campaign needs to take advantage of this critical moment.
Sign up to the Facebook event Gather 1pm, Sat 16th April on Gower Street London (look out for the CND banner). CND thanks all those who donated to this event.
2. Next meeting of Edinburgh Stop the War Monday 18 April
We meet 7.30pm at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace – hope to see you there
3. Peace Hustings Thursday 21 April. 7:30 – 9:15pm. Augustine United Church.41 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1EL Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1690475707893418/ – Please share and invite friends!Please come along with your questions about the role Scotland and MSPs can play in promoting international peace. Although defence is not a devolved issue, there is a lot we can do on a local level, for example to promote positive alternatives to the declining shipping industry.
THERE ARE MANY OTHER HUSTINGS TO ATTEND A list of Hustings can be found by clicking on events on the right of this page. Suggested Questions in previous post
NB Hustings list has been updated!
4. Don’t Bank on the Bomb Letter Writing 26 April. 2 – 4pm Edinburgh Peace and Justice Centre Drop in and write letters to Parliamentary candidates and financial institutions. We will provide the materials you need to call on prospective MSPs to commit to ending Scottish Parliament Pension Scheme investment in nuclear weapons and on banks to divest.
5. The general public, as well as party members, are able to make submissions to the Labour Party Defence Review. Please use this opportunity to tell Emily Thornberry that you are opposed to Trident. Submissions can be made to email@example.com The deadline is 30 April.
For help see British CND submission to Labour Defence Review and
Labour CND advice on making submissions to the review on their respective websites
6. Public meeting, Saturday 30 April
This is an Important public meeting on the Prevent legislation, which is being implemented in Scotland. 5pm at the Augustine Church on George 4th Bridge. Organised jointly with the Muslim Women’s Association of Edinburgh, SACC and UAF. Check out the FB event at https://www.facebook.com/events/1674489076164375/
7. May Day celebration (supported by Edinburgh CND). The annual May Day march assembles 11.30am at Johnston Terrace on Saturday 7th May and sets off at midday marching (join us behind our banner) to a rally at the Pleasance (with Penny Stone and stalls) https://www.facebook.com/events/1717615495148829/ and events here.
8. SETSUKO THURLOW, HIBAKUSHA THE GLOBAL NUCLEAR BAN INTRODUCTION FOR SCOTS TEENAGERS 4.30 pm Monday May 9th Quaker Meeting House 7 Victoria Terrace Edinburgh EH1 2JL (see previous news on this site for more information)
9. Edinburgh World Justice Festival ‘get involved’ meeting evening 10th May in the Peace and Justice Centre
10. International Conscientious Objectors Day Vigil Sunday 15 May. 4 – 5pm. Foot of the Mound, Edinburgh.
11. The next meeting of the Scottish Peace Network is scheduled for 2pm on Tuesday 17 May. In the electron club on the first floor of the Centre for Contemporary Arts on Sauchiehall Street in the Glasgow city centre. The SPN also have a monthly vigil in Glasgow. Next one: Wednesday, April 27, from 5 to 6pm at Dewar’s statue on Buchanan Street.
12. Our benefit at The Stand: Benefit in Aid of Edinburgh CND at The Stand Edinburgh on Tuesday 21st June. Tickets cost £7 (£5 concs) and can be reserved through the Stand website, their box office on 0131-558 7272 or bought direct from Edinburgh CND on 0131-538 7298 or edinburghcnd.org or on the door. https://www.facebook.com/events/256460924690733/ and events here.
13. UN Open Ended Working Group: Thanks to the initiative of campaigner Rachel Lever there are now two petitions up and running which urge the UK to take an active and constructive part at the UN Open Ended Working Group (OEWG) in Geneva. Please sign and share both petitions widely! https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Britains_Party_leaders_Take_an_active_and_constructive_part_in_UN_nuclear_disarmament_talks/?cpwdskb
Are you coming to Geneva in May for the UN Open Ended Working Group? If so, please let us know. Below is some useful information about the May sessions.
Main program – formal plenary sessions
The formal plenary sessions will be held from May 2-4 and from May 9-13. They will include sessions on each of the topics in the OEWG mandate. http://www.baselpeaceoffice.org/sites/default/files/imce/oewg/2016/program_for_plenary_sessions_oewg_may_2-13.pdf for the program.
Please contact unfold zero at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the OEWG and how to participate.