STOP PRESS 9th MAY: note meetings on 9th May (Hiroshima Survivor), 10th May (change of time for Don’t Bank on Bomb meeting), Coming Together to Work for Peace in the Middle East (see 3 below) Wednesday 11 May. 7 – 9pm and meeting on 12th May Challenging Militarism Working Group (see 4b below)
- Today is 1st May (May Day). Edinburgh CND supports the local May Day celebrations which start today with an event at 2pm in the Storey Telling centre: http://www.tracscotland.org/…/5172/james-connolly-from-edinburgh’s-cowgate-to-the-dublin-gpo
2. The annual May Day march assembles 11.30am at Johnston Terrace on Saturday 7th May and sets off at midday marching (join us behind our banner) to a rally at the Pleasance (with Penny Stone and stalls) https://www.facebook.com/events/1717615495148829/ and events here. Please Join us behind our banner on the march and on the peace table at the rally.
3. Tomorrow (2nd May) will be our monthly meeting 6pm in ACE 17 W Montgomery Pl, Edinburgh EH7 5HA. We will be discussing May Day, the Election, Nuclear Convoys and Our Benefit
4. THERE ARE STILL HUSTINGS TO ATTEND before the Election on 5th May. A list of Hustings can be found by clicking on events on the right of this page. Suggested Questions in previous posts.
5. And in June: Our benefit at The Stand: Benefit in Aid of Edinburgh CND at The Stand Edinburgh on Tuesday 21st June. Tickets cost £7 (£5 concs) and can be reserved through the Stand website, their box office on 0131-558 7272 or bought direct from Edinburgh CND on 0131-538 7298 or edinburghcnd.org or on the door. https://www.facebook.com/events/256460924690733/ and events here. Note there is now also possible to book through Eventbrite: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/comedy-benefit-night-for-edinburgh-cnd-tickets-24908790864
Other News: 1. You can find more information about CNDs submission to the Labour Party Defence Review on their website: cnduk.org
The Liberal Democrats are opposed to like-for-like Trident replacement, but a policy commission is considering the party’s long-term approach to the issue. The review is currently taking evidence from invited groups, and CND will be giving evidence in the summer. It is expected that a final report will be made in Spring 2017
Also see website for t-shirts (especially health one) 2. Latest Trident Ploughshares newsletter is available
1. Hiroshima Survivor in Edinburgh 4.30 pm Monday May 9th Quaker Meeting House 7 Victoria Terrace Edinburgh EH1 2JL (see previous news on this site for more information)
2. Don’t Bank on the Bomb meeting. Tuesday 10th 11am in the Peace and Justice Centre. Note change of time!
3. Coming Together to Work for Peace in the Middle East.
Wednesday 11 May. 7 – 9pm. Frank Romano, prof of law at Uni of Paris Ouest. Hosted by Dr Sara Trevelyan, with support from EIFA, Edinburgh International Centre for Spirituality & Peace & Edinburgh Peace & Justice Centre. Augustine United Church, George IV Bridge. LIKE & Share the Facebook Event Here
4. (a)In the last few months Janet Fenton the current secretary of Scottish CND has visited Ireland and Japan . During those visits Janet spoke at a number of meetings and events. She also met peace activists and a range of people from civic society in those countries.
Janet has agreed to do a report back meeting on her visits and this will take place in the Scottish CND office in the Wellington Church 77 Southpark Avenue Glasgow G12 8 LE on Thursday May 12th at 7pm. This is an informal gathering for Janet to give her reflections and thoughts on these 2 visits. Anyone who is interested is very welcome to come along 4 (b) Edinburgh Challenging Militarism Working Group meeting is Thursday 12 May from 7 – 9pm. This will take place at the Peace and Justice Centre. 5 Upper Bow. EH1 2JN.Please invite others you think may be interested and bring ideas. This will follow the What Can Quakers do about Militarism? Workshop to explore issues around increasing militarisation. Facilitated by Sam Walton, Peace & Disarmament Programme Manager at Quaker Meeting House, Victoria Terrace. 10am -12noon. All are welcome to attend that meeting regardless of whether you are a Quaker.
5. Conscientious Objectors Day Sunday 15 May. 4 – 5pm. Foot of the Mound, Edinburgh.
6. Peace and Justice Centre meeting: a taster session hosted by Journey to Justice and RSA Scotland On: Monday May 16th, 2016, 9.30 am – 1pm, followed by a communal lunch – please bring your own At: Edinburgh Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, EH1 2JL (From 9.30 am – 1pm ) Please register via this Eventbrite link: http://bit.ly/1RTLEJf
7. Are you interested in what governments are talking about in preparation for the upcoming UN Open Ended Working Group on nuclear disarmament (May 2-13) and the Conference on Disarmament (May 16-July 1)? 8. In Australia: 👣 Karlamalyi Walk 4thWalkatjurra Walkabout 2016 August 7th – September 7th 2016