1. Faslane Peacecamp are having a declutter and EdinburghCND have offered to help.
We are making 2 trips: one this Saturday (17th) and one in the new year.
If you are willing and can help with either please email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. The situation in Yemen is terrible and getting worse. Edinburgh CND is supporting the protest on Saturday 24th December from 1pm – 2.30pm at the Wellington Statue East end of Princes Street: Stand up for Yemen: stop the UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia https://www.facebook.com/
3. The United Nations will start negotiating a global nuclear ban treaty in March. A world without nuclear weapons is within our reach. But the UK voted against these negotiations, and will try to obstruct progress, if we don’t act now. Your help is vital in getting the UK to support a global nuclear ban. We need to raise enough funds to continue lobbying the government, print thousands of global ban briefings, and send CND delegates to the UN conference in March.
One of our members has started an e-petition asking the Government to participate in this coming UN conference and it has now been published and is available to all UK citizens and residents to sign. Here is the link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/175096
After signing please tell your relatives, friends and colleagues, put it on Facebook, Twitter etc – whatever you can do to publicise it as widely as possible. We only have a couple of months to get things moving before the conference.
For more on the UN conference and other related issues see:
4.SCNDs December mag is also available http://www.banthebomb.org/index.php/publications/magazine/1897-nuclear-free-magazine-december-2016
5. Another important petition “Presiding Officer of Scottish Parliament: Ban arms traders/dealers from the Scottish Parliament.” and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.
Our goal is to reach 200 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:
6. To help build Youth CND see: http://www.yscnd.org/
7. Opinion has changed. Nuclear disarmament is mainstream. The problem is one of ‘operationalising’ those sentiments, putting pressure on politicians to understand and honour them.” So says Carol Turner, longstanding Labour party member and CND activist, author of Corbyn and Trident: Labour’s continuing controversy. Buy the book: http://www.cnd.org
8. Peace & Justice Bring & Share Festive Lunch. 20 December. 12noon – 2pm.
At the Peace and Justice Centre.5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh. EH1 2JN.
Come along and meet the P&J staff, volunteers and Management Committee. There will be Mulled Wine!
Don’t forget the Cranes Workshops on Saturdays and Burns Supper in January (see earlier posts)
9. Latest NuClear News: http://www.no2nuclearpower.org.uk/nuclearnews/NuClearNewsNo91.pdf
10. Don’t Bank on the Bomb meeting latest minutes are available: email email@example.com for a copy
11. UNFOLD ZERO encourages you to vote for the 2016 Arms Control Person(s) of the Year, organised by the Arms Control Association. Among the nominations are a number of people that have made a considerable impact on nuclear disarmament through the United Nations. They include: The government of the Marshall Islands and former foreign minister Tony de Brum. Mr de Brum is also a Council Member of Parliamentarians for Nuclear non-proliferation and Disarmament, one of the UNFOLD ZERO co-founding organisations. The Marshall Islands played a lead role in the historic 1996 International Court of Justice (ICJ) case on the illegality of the threat or use of nuclear weapons. Then, in 2014, Mr de Brum initiated lawsuits in a U.S. Federal Court against the United States, and in the ICJ against the nine nuclear armed States in an attempt to compel them to implement their obligation to achieve complete nuclear disarmament. Over 5 million people signed a petition endorsing these cases.
12.The monthly vigil of the Scottish Peace Network will be held on Thursday, December 22, from 5-6pm at the Dewar’s statue on Buchanan Street in Glasgow city centre,
13. Trump Selects Former Texas Governor Rick Perry for Secretary of Energy
Albuquerque – The Trump transition team has selected former Texas governor Rick Perry as his administration’s nominee for Secretary of Energy.
+++++++++Trump demo in Edinburgh Friday 20th January 5.30pm Wellington Statue East end of Princes St