STOP PRESS: See the (whole) video of our meeting on Nuclear Convoys:
(also see 6 below)
Dates for your diary
1. Monday 26 February: 7.30pm Upstairs room, Beehive Inn, Grassmarket EH1 2JU Planning for the 2018 Edinburgh World Justice Festival. All invited. Also: Demo for Syria: Stop airstrikes on Eastern Ghouta Monday 26 February, 4.30pm at the Russian Consulate General in Edinburgh
++2. Monday 26 to Thursday 1st , CAAT are going to have a stall in the Scottish Parliament where they can talk to MSPs and their staff about the arms trade in Scotland. They are going to have a particular focus on how Scotland can convert jobs in arms manufacturing into jobs in renewable energy, and highlighting the amount of public funds going to arms manufacturers through Scottish Enterprise, and Highlands and Islands Enterprise. Please email your MSPs to let them know that they will be there, and enourage them to come and talk.
3. Tuesday 6 March: ECND regular organising meeting, 6pm, Peace and Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, Edinburgh.
4. Friday 9 March: Next full working group meeting for the big Faslane demonstration on the 22nd September (note new date) at the SCND office in Glasgow at 5.30pm (77 Southpark Ave G12 8LE).
Edinburgh CND are running a bus to the demo ‘The Sheila Skinner Faslane Bus’ in memory of Sheila who died in January.
5. Saturday 10 March: monthly leafleting, 12.30 pm at the East End of Princes Street. Followed by 140,000 Origami Cranes Workshop 2 – 4pm at the Peace and Justice Centre.
6. Saturday 17 March: Scotland Endangered Helensburgh Parish Church Halls, Colquhoun St, 10.30 – 6 pm, organised by Helensburgh CND.
Join Helensburgh CND and their conference to hear about the hazards associated with nuclear weapons regardless of whether or not anyone ever actually pushes the button.Radioactive materials are transported on our roads, from our airports and on our railways, and our air and water are contaminated by radioactive elements and processes. This follows Edinburgh’s successful meeting on the 21st. If you missed it you can see and hear a recording on our Facebook page.
8. Thursday 26th April: 7.30pm – venue to be confirmed – Public Meeting with Tim Coles author of “Fire and Fury: How the US Isolates North Korea, Encircles China and Risks Nuclear War in Asia” Organised by EdinburghCND and Edinburgh Stop the War.
8. Sunday 1st April: 1- 4 pm. Fly Kites Not (Armed) Drones & Refugee Community Kitchen Fundraiser. Pavilion Café, The Meadows.
Kite Making, Decorating, Flying, live music, soup & more. Family friendly fun day.
ON THE SAME DAY (1st April)
Join Local and National CND to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first Aldermaston march. This was a march that changed the face of politics and protest, putting CND at the cutting edge of radical social change, mobilising and inspiring generations in the struggle for nuclear disarmament.
It’s time to celebrate our history and look to our future: there are big challenges ahead – Trumpism for example, but also big opportunities – like the global ban. Assemble at 12 noon • AWE Aldermaston, West Berkshire RG7 4PR
For speeches, music, memories, fence decorating and forward planning. The event will conclude with an inter-faith vigil.
As part of the lead up to this: a giant 3D CND symbol installation is to tour Britain. Visit cnduk.org/CNDtour to discover when it will visit your area. “The iconic CND symbol is instantly recognisable to millions across the globe.
To mark 60 years, . CND’s greatest strength has always been its members. Incredible people have shaped our history, our present and will continue to inspire in the future. 60 Faces of CNDtells the stories of 60 people who represent all the millions of people who have campaigned for nuclear disarmament over the decades and have made our organisation so remarkable.Visit the 60 Faces of CND exhibition online
1. Scottish CND is looking for a part time Campaign Assistant to join the team (Glasgow office). See http://www.banthebomb.org 2. The Peace & Justice Centre is hiring a new Administrator. 12.5 hrs / wk flexible schedule. Closing: 14th March 2018. Click HEREfor the Job Description and application pack. See more in their new newsletter http://peaceandjustice.org.uk
1. UNFOLD ZERO members and partners will be in New York for the UN High-Level Conference from May 14-16, and key side-events including the public action Count the Nuclear Weapons Money from May 10-16 and the annual meeting of the Abolition 2000 global network to eliminate nuclear weapons on May 11 or 13 (to be finalised). The Abolition 2000 Youth Network will be organising youth engagement in these events. 2. Conscientious Objectors Day Vigil Tues 15 May. 5 – 6pm.Foot of the Mound, By the National Gallery. Reading the Names. Singing. CO Descendants & other speakers.
6. See Los Alamos for updates on US government spending on Nuclear weapons and their ‘nuclear posturing’ plus Bulletins 243 and 244: http://www.lasg.org/
7.Australia Walkatjurra Walkabout updates available on request.