Reminder: The Edinburgh World Justice Festival runs until the 19 October and includes Music, Film, Political Discussion and Exhibitions. Check out the full programme at http://www.ewjf.org.uk. or see previous news item. In particular note events on 3rd and 5th October. Changing our Unequal World conference and book fair 11.00 – 17.00 Sat 3rd Oct St. Thomas Aquin’s High School, Chalmers Street, Edinburgh EH3 9ES Discussion and debate on a fairer future. Austerity, Debt and Military Spending 19.30-21.30 Mon 5th Oct
Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria St, Edinburgh EH1 2JL Edinburgh Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and the Peace and Justice Centre. How can we stop governments prioritising military spending over people’s needs?
1. Party Conferences: Liberal Democrats narrowly voted against a policy to scrap Trident at their Autumn Conference. Just under half of delegates voted for a motion that would cancel plans for Trident replacement and support decommissioning the UK’s existing nuclear weapons system. Instead the conference has voted to oppose like-for-like replacement and commission a working group to decide policy beyond that. Kate Hudson, CND general secretary, said: “Liberal Democrats missed a historic opportunity today to lead British politics on scrapping Trident – a crucial policy issue ahead of next year’s parliamentary vote.” CND issued a briefing and appeal for the Labour Party conference and also welcomed the possibility that Trident replacement would be debated at the annual Labour Party conference and expressed surprise and disappointment after the conference failed to include a debate on its agenda. Kate Hudson, CND general secretary, said: “Given the clear view of Labour’s leader in favour of this crucial debate, together with very strong grass roots anti-Trident sentiment, conference’s failure to debate Trident policy is a both a surprise and a huge disappointment.” CND later welcomed Jeremy Corbyn’s strong recommitment to nuclear disarmament, received with enormous applause, during his first leader’s speech to the Labour Party conference. The Labour leader also made clear that the issue would be fully and openly debated within the Party. CND is pushing very hard to build broad opposition to Trident replacement. As public opposition to Trident grows it is essential that political parties begin to reflect this change.
CND will be outside the Tory Party Conference on Sunday: Programme for the day:
11:30am: Scrap Trident bloc assembles at All Saints Park on Oxford Road 12:30pm: Opening rally
1:30pm: March through the city For information on transport to and from Manchester, check http://bit.ly/1M3OIzL
2. PICAT– A Public Interest Case Against Trident NEW CITIZEN CHALLENGE TO UK’S NUCLEAR WEAPONS
Campaigners aim to prosecute British state On 1st October campaigners will begin a new and ambitious project to institute a citizen’s prosecution of the Government and specifically the Secretary of State for Defence for breaching international law by its active deployment of the Trident nuclear weapon system.
3. Edinburgh Peace and Justice Centre: Monthly Newsletter http://www.peaceandjustice.org.uk
4. Drone Campaign Network’s monthly email newsletter. Each month, they send an email containing the latest information, campaign updates and links to resources to help you campaign on the growing use of armed drones. To receive monthly email newsletter, sign up via our website here. Petition about use of Drones in Syria: You can sign the petition online here: http://www.change.org/p/stop-british-drone-targeted-killings
1. WE ARE MANY Film Screening (if you missed it in Edinburgh) Hippodrome Bo’ness, 10 Hope Street, Bo’ness EH51 0AA
19:30 2nd October Tickets: £6.50 (£4.95 conc.) Box office: 01324 506850
Web link: http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/whats-on/events/event.aspx?eid=4417&did=2148
2. The Scottish Peace Network will be having a peaceful presence at Parliament Square, on the Royal Mile next to St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh on Sunday 8th Nov during the main Scottish Remembrance Parade. Assemble at 10.30am to hold banners during the parade and ceremony. After the official ceremony we will laying a White Poppy wreath to remember all those who have died and suffered in wars and continue to do so. All welcome.
In Glasgow: First World War Counter-Centenary Dewar’s statue, Buchanan Street, Glasgow4.30 pm, Tuesday, 17 November
White poppies will be available.
3. The Big Scrap Trident Skillshare: A day of lively and interactive workshops to share knowledge about Trident nuclear weapons and the grassroots campaigns working to scrap them.
EDINBURGH – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14th
St Thomas of Aquins RC High School, 2-20 Chalmers St, EH3 9ES
4.If you have not seen the film by Lin Li and would still like to watch it, there’s another opportunity to do so. Lin Li is going to have a solo exhibition in Edinburgh this coming Saturday 3 October to 8 October, in Gayfield Creative Spaces (11 Gayfield Square, Edinburgh EH1 3NT) which is within walking distance from the bus and train stations. The focus of the exhibition is the film and the screening will be at 6pm. For more information and free tickets for the screenings, please check out http://www.linli-art.com/page68.htm .
5. This year the Vanunu Campaign will be holding another vigil at the Israeli Embassy (in London), to mark his 61st birthday. This will be on Saturday, October 10th (three days before his actual birthday, October 13th) from noon to 2pm to once again call for Mordechai to at last be allowed to leave Israel. As well as placards and leaflets we will bring a birthday cake to share in celebration of Mordechai’s birthday.
6. CND Conference – 17th-18th October Arlington Conference Centre, 220 Arlington Road, Camden, London NW1 7HE Come and join the discussion on how Trident can be scrapped.
Register here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/scrapping-trident-conference-strategising-for-success-in-2016-tickets-18648247410 Also: There is a Public Meeting in Parliament with Japanese delegation and hibakusha – 12th October
……and a message from Australia: Thanks so much to everyone who came and supported the Walkatjurra Walkabout this year..