There will be a meeting of Edinburgh CND on Monday 1st February. We will be discussing the build up to the 27th Feb demo and the transport arrangements to it:
Stop Trident demonstration – the final countdown is on.
The Stop Trident demonstration is 27th February – just five weeks away. How is mobilising going? Don’t forget these upcoming events to get ready:
Constituency Lobby This Weekend
1. If you are available this weekend you can use the CND website to contact your MP and ask for a meeting. If you have any questions or want further information please email email@example.com
2. Day of Action: Saturday, 6th February
3. Scotland: 14th February Love the Planet Scrap Trident. Watch this space for Edinburgh events. #Lovetheplanet#scraptrident
4. Stop Trident Bus and Tube Adverts: If you’re in Bristol, Leeds or Manchester between 8th February and 3rd March, or in London between 15th and 28th February, watch out for buses promoting the Stop Trident demonstration! If you spot one of the ads on buses or the Tube in London, try to get a photo and tweet it at us using the #StopTrident hashtag!
5. Placard Making Competition: Full competition details can be found on the CND web site
First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon will address a major anti-nuclear weapons demo in central London next month alongside trades union and party leaders. The Labour Party has recently launched a formal review of defence policy including Trident and MPs are expected to vote on Trident replacement in the coming months. The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, which is organizing the Stop Trident demonstration, says the event could be the largest mobilisation against nuclear weapons in a generation. It has attracted the support of over twenty organisations, including War on Want, Greenpeace, Pax Christi, Stop the War Coalition, Friends of the Earth, Quakers and the People’s Assembly Against Austerity.
STOP PRESS: CND have teamed up with designer Katharine Hamnett and ethical clothing company Rapanui to bring you a range of T-shirts, sweatshirts and tote bags to help get you kitted out for the colossal demo to Stop Trident. They’re made in an ethically accredited, wind-powered factory and printed on 100% organic cotton. So buy your Stop Trident T-shirt today to support green and sustainable manufacturing, as well as our planet-saving campaign to get rid of nuclear weapons! https://cnduk.teemill.co.uk
1.The ‘Great War’ exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in Queen St on Sunday, very good, informative and some gender balance. Recommended and topical.
2. Ask your MP to support: Early day motion 987 on Nuclear Convoys:
3.Edinburgh University International Development Society have some interesting events next week : https://www.facebook.com/euidsoc/events/
4.Two events in Manchester: A full pdf programme is also attached, with a Word registration form.
These are being placed on the following websites:
5. The United Nations has decided to re-establish an Open Ended Working Group (OEWG) to take forward multilateral nuclear disarmament negotiations. It will hold its substantive sessions in Geneva in February, May and August 2016 (with an organisational meeting on January 28). The sessions will be open to all governments as well as representatives of civil society.