14th Feb: 1.1. Scrap Trident Love the Planet day of action as build up to 27th. There is a stall from 12noon to 2pm at the East End of Princes Street. Edinburgh. Big hearts and these will be used for photos which can be used on social media. We will also have petitions, bus info, banners, crane-making, pavement chalking and music. More details at https://www.facebook.com/events/538898022948067/
1.2 13th Feb: this is our normal 2nd Sat event 1230 East End of Princes Street, so we will use it to advertise Scrap Trident Love the Planet.
2. 27th Feb Scrap Trident Demo in London : 2.1.Bus leaves Edinburgh 26th Feb 10.15pm Waterloo place: http://scraptrident.org for information on how to book tickets. Even if you cannot come with us come and give a good send off could be used to get media attention. 2.2 There is a crash space in London for those who wish to stay longer (and meeting on Sunday) It is at Turnpike lane and buses will go there after dropping off in centre of London. See CND website for further details: http://cnduk.org 2.3 MPs should join march. Contact yours and ask them to stay in London
3. Trident continues to dominate the political agenda at Westminster in the run up to the Demonstration on Saturday 27 February. The Government recently announced that the cost of replacing the four submarines has increased by £16 billion. The same document stated that the real security threats facing the UK are climate change, cyber attacks and terrorism – which nuclear weapons do nothing to address. Caroline Lucas, Chair of Parliamentary CND, has tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons urging the Government to cancel Trident replacement in light of these announcements.
4. Peace and Justice Centre February newsletter http://peaceandjustice.org.uk Events include:
4.1. 140,000 Paper Cranes Workshops Edinburgh Peace & Justice Centre, 5 Upper Bow, EH1 2JN Saturdays: 30 January, 6 & 20 February. 2 – 4pm
4.2. Conflict Resolution Skills Training Workshop: for working with groups of young people, 5 – 12 years old. Saturday 13 February, 10am – 5pm.
4.3. The World Is My Country Exhibition Thurs 25 Feb – Sat 12 March Free Exhibition Launch 6pm Thursday 25 February
4.4. Songs of the Unsung Heroes. Saturday 12 March. 2 – 4:30pm. Scottish Storytelling Centre 43-45 High St, Edinburgh EH1 1SR
5. 5.1 Are you involved with a political party, community group, trades union or student union? Edinburgh Stop the War would be really pleased to do a short presentation on the issues around Britain’s engagement in bombing campaigns in Syria and Iraq and the implications this has for the Middle East and on civil liberties and the economy here. Contact email@example.com for a speaker.
5.2 Edinburgh Meeting The next Edinburgh Stop the War Meeting is 7.30pm Monday 15 February at the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace – more details will be published on the Facebook Page and the website.
5.3 Syria You can download a copy of their petition at https://www.scribd.com/doc/298238583/Syria-Petition
5.4 Saturday 20 February – at the Assembly Rooms – we will be running a workshop that looks at Trident and war in the Middle East at the RIC Conference – for more details go to http://www.radical.sco
6. Drones Campaign monthly news sign up via website here.
7. On January 28, the UN Open Ended Working Group on nuclear disarmament (OEWG) held its first session in Geneva. The success of the OEWG will require greater public promotion and campaigning around the world – especially in capitals. UNFOLD ZERO has therefore launched a contest to find an inspiring global action to promote the OEWG. Please encourage your mayor, parliamentarian or local religious leader/s to endorse the joint statement A Nuclear-Weapon-Free World Our Common Good.
8. WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE PART OF THE BIG DEBATE WITH GORDON BREWER IN EDINBURGH? St Kentigern’s Church Hall, 26-28 Parkgrove Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 7QR, Friday 19th February, 2016, Doors open at the venue at 11:15am, show is on air from 12pm – 1pm – webpage link to booking form:http://bbc.in/1Al9Rpx , phone 0141 422 7773
9.Benefit in Aid of Edinburgh CND After a successful ‘Plants for Peace’ stall two years running at the Meadows Festival we decided to try a new way of raising funds and have been lucky enough to be offered a comedy benefit night at The Stand Edinburgh on Tuesday 21st June. This is a busy and crucial year for our campaign-all the more reason to lighten up with laughter while raising money and reaching out to a new audience. Can you help make this night a winner by selling tickets to friends and families, by helping run the event and donating raffle prizes? Tickets cost £7 (£5 concs) and can be reserved through the Stand website, their box office on 0131-558 7272 or bought direct from Edinburgh CND on 0131-538 7298 or edinburghcnd.org or on the door. As well as the money from ticket sales we hope to run a raffle to raise even more cash. This means top quality prizes donated by you! We’ve already been offered red wine by one generous supporter
10. Scottish CND executive minutes for February are available